Have an account?

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

the real state of the nation

Just came across a better version of the state of the nation from a friend's post in FB. And I totally agree...


Theres The Rub
State of the mind

By Conrado de Quiros
Philippine Daily Inquirer


I seriously propose that the state of the Nation Address be delivered not in July, as tradition dictates, but on April 1, as sanity dictates. April 1 is April Fool’s Day, when the claims of Filipino presidents, including those who were not elected so, about what they’ve done for the country are best said. Who knows? Maybe the day devoted to foolishness may persuade people to be wise.

Who knows too? Maybe the day devoted to deception might have persuaded President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo Monday to tell the truth. And deliver this speech:

GOOD AFTERNOON, sycophants and booty-lickers. I do not see any ladies here and the only gentleman I know is at home packing his bags in hopes he might still be invited to where I am going. I will not bore you, even if that gives me great pleasure, with a long speech full of statistics which you would be fools to believe anyway. I’ll go straight to the point.
Juan Ponce Enrile is right: I am the best president this country has ever had. Of course, he said that too about Marcos and Erap, but he is right this time. No Filipino president has done more than me. No Filipino president will do more than me.

For once and for all, I have disabused this country of its illusions. Chief of them is that we are a democracy. There has been no more persistent, and pernicious, illusion than that. The Filipinos who extol its virtues are hypocrites. They do not believe in it any more than I do. They do not care for it any more than I do.


To read the full article, click this LINK.

0 comments: