Have an account?

Monday, June 9, 2008

french open results

I never liked Roger Federer. I don't want him to be known as the greatest tennis player of all time. Okay, I'm a Sampras fan. Get it now? So basically, I'll be rooting for anyone playing against him in any surface. And thanks to Rafa Nadal for spoiling Federer's bid of becoming the 6th man to win the four grand slams and solidifying his status as the best.

Rafa beat Roger in straight sets 6-1 6-3 6-0 for his fourth consecutive Roland Garros, equalling the same feat set by Bjorn Borg. This has been Federer's worst beating in a grand slam. And this has also been the third consecutive year that Nadal beat Federer in the French Open Finals. The first time Rafa won the title, he beat Roger during the semifinals. This reminds me of the rivalry between Sampras and Michael Chang before.

On the women's side, Ana Ivanovic won against the improved Dinara Safina in straight sets as well. She also got the number one rank in the WTA race. Justine Henin's surprising retirement has opened the ground for three players to get the top ranking (Sharapova, Ivanovic, Jankovic). And by the way, I never liked Sharapova. She's got that irritating noise when playing. Reminds me of Venus Williams and Monica Seles.

0 comments: