Have an account?

Monday, July 26, 2010

cebu city tour - day1

For the longest time, I wanted to visit Cebu. Been hearing lots of good things about the city. The historical landmarks, the beaches, and most especially the 8 starbucks outlets! Too bad the planned birthday trip last year didn't push through because of bad weather. Instead I diverted my trip to the far-flung province of Pampanga! But this year I cast it in stone that whatever happens, I'll visit Cebu. Period!

As early as Feb., I booked my flight even if there wasn't any seat sale offering from Cebu Pacific. Thought that the cost of the ticket will pressure me to push through with this trip. And it did! So come 8am of July 15 (my birthday), I was already in NAIA Terminal 3. But I made sure that I get to visit St. Jude before my flight given that it was a Thursday and I'm 2 visits shy of finishing my first complete novena of the year.

The plane landed at Mactan airport by lunchtime, almost an hour delayed as expected from Cebu Pac. And since the hotel I was eyeing was fully booked that day, I opted to skip Lapu-Lapu Shrine and Mactan Aquarium and instead proceeded to the city to look for available and affordable hotel. I got the last room at Cebu R Hotel, very near Escario St. and the Capitol. For P1050, I got a deluxe room with 1 queen-sized bed and 2 single beds all for myself. Not to mention the free wifi signal inside the room.


Since the sudden change in my itinerary, I started my Cebu City tour a day earlier. I first visited the Capitol along Escario St. It was like a miniature White House which I assumed houses the city government (correct me if I'm wrong). Too bad I wasn't able to bring my tripod that's why I settled with just my arms and angle estimates. Afterwhich, I tried riding a jeep going to Ayala Cebu to visit my first 2 Starbucks outlets. Here I experienced the so-called language barrier. It was hard being Cebuano illiterate.

The Ayala Terraces was IMO bigger than Greenbelt or Trinoma. Too bad I wasn't really able to tour the whole mall which I thought was good since I won't get to shop. So I first visited the Starbucks just beside Fully Booked. Baristas were extra friendly especially after learning that it was my birthday. Too bad they told me that the Cebu City Tumbler was out of stock in all Cebu branches. That was one of the reasons why I wanted to visit Cebu! Damn! After a 20 minute stroll inside the mall, I dropped by the second branch found in the GF of the main mall. Here I received the good news that the branch in Benedicto IT still has 3 tumblers left. I immediately requested them to reserve it under my name and will get it before I go to the airport on Saturday. 2 Cebu City tumblers....CHECKED!

Since I wanted to make this day even more special, I pushed through with my plan to do Sky Adventure at the Crown Regency. For only 600 pesos, you'll get to experience the Sky Walk, Edge Coaster, and even have free Iced Tea and snacks. And since I was a sore loser, I chickened out on the Edge Coaster. I settled with the safer but more boring, to some, Sky Walk. I got to literally walk around the edge of the 37th floor of Crown Regency with just a harness holding me, a friendly guide and a photographer documenting the experience. All in all it was all worth it. One of my birthday wishes granted!


0 comments: