Have an account?

Monday, July 26, 2010

cebu city tour - day2

My second day in Cebu started very very late. It was raining til before lunch so I chose to stay in the hotel. By 1pm, I started my day 2 itinerary. Destination: downtown.

My first stop is UP Cebu. According to my map, it was far. And I realized how FAR it was when I got there...by foot. I chose to walk coz I didn't want to experience language barrier two days in a row. Might reach Mandaue without me knowing! This campus was way smaller than Diliman. Even smaller than UP Manila, I think. One thing that hit me was the gate. Never experienced having a gate in Diliman. The guards didn't even ask for my ID. Weird.

From UP, I hailed a cab going to downtown Cebu. First stop was Casa Gorordo. It was home of a former bishop (?) which was turned into a museum. Many pieces there depicts the way of life during the Spanish time. Weird coz I can see the features of our old house in there. Too bad picture-taking wasn't allowed inside. But I got to take good photos in the terrace and garden. A block from Casa Gorordo stands another ancestral house, Yap-Sandiego. And just across the street is the Heritage Monument. It's like a steel sculpture showing many scenes of Cebu's history including that of the Magellan's Cross. I must say it is Cebu's greatest pride. Astig ding backdrop for pics. Good thing that I brought my tripod this time.




A block away from the Heritage Monument is Colon, oldest street in the Philippines. This is also considered unsafe for tourists because of snatchers. About two blocks from the Colon marker is the Cathedral Museum which houses several Catholic artifacts used in the Spanish era. Camera wasn't allowed in the second floor where prized pieces are kept. Was able to capture the inside of the chapel in the first floor while the curator was touring me.


Across the Cathedral Museum is the Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral, one of the oldest archdiocese in the Philippines. The Cathedral had undergone several renovations already. It's ceiling is painted white with lots of gold trimmings. The altar is majestic. Would want to experience mass here if I wasn't in a hurry then.

It's common here in the Philippines to have two churches in one area. Example is the Manila Cathedral and San Agustin Church in Intramuros. In Cebu, the Basilica Minore del Sto. Nino is situated  just across the Cebu Cathedral. I was surprised seeing people waving towards the altar when they pass by the entrance even if they stayed outside the church. They just wave ala-El Shaddai.
The landmarks in downtown Cebu were pretty close in proximity that's why it was best to allot at least half a day visiting these places. The historical and world-famous Magellan's Cross is just across the Sto. Nino Church. I got too excited seeing the landmark that I immediately took shots inside the structure having the paintings in the ceiling as backdrop. And these Korean tourists suddenly blocked my view!

While I was setting up my tripod outside the Magellan's Cross, this old American approached me asking why I'm setting up my tripod. I would want to call him stupid but I didn't out of respect. I just politely told him that I wanted the Magellan's Cross as my backdrop. Then he asked me if I was from there coz I don't look like Filipino. I just said I AM FILIPINO. He even mentioned that I looked like an Indian. Would have wanted to answer back that he looks like a pedophile. I should have! LOL. So I just continued setting up my cam then he again initiated an unwanted conversation asking if I wanted him to take my picture. I said no, that I can manage. I guess he got the message so he left me alone. After I took several pictures, he was about to come near again. I just hurriedly folded my tripod and went in the opposite direction.

About 3 blocks from Magellan's Cross is Malacanang de Sugbu. But during my visit it was under renovation. So I just settled taking pictures outside the streets. Just across is the famed Fort San Pedro, a bit smaller than most forts in the Philippines. For an entrance fee of P30, you get to experience Intramuros-like ambiance. A beautiful and well-maintained garden welcomes you upon entering. Nice venue for photo shoots. On the second level you can pose with the canons. And these Koreans kept on following where I'm going! Yes, 3 bus-loads of them! I decided to end my downtown tour with a visit to Taboan Market where I got dried Danggit with lemon zest for just 650 per kilo. A huge variety of dried fish and squids can also be found there.

I decided to get back to the hotel and freshen up before having dinner at the famed STK (pronounced iSTiKI by some locals) just near Hotel Asia in Cua St. At first I thought it was like Dampa in Macapagal but I was surprised to see such a classy yet homey ambiance inside. And since I wanted something different, I tried their fried eel and their Korean version of sinigang. Thumbs up to both dishes.

After dinner, I dropped by SM City Cebu for my next two Starbucks outlets. The first was at the ground floor Reclamation side. It's also there where I left my laptop! Just realized it when I was already at the second floor. And I was also surprised seeing myself run that fast down the escalator. Fortunately, the guard was standing beside my table waiting for the stupid owner of that laptop. Thank God! While strolling, decided to window-shop. And when I left the mall, I was carrying a new pair of shoes from People Are People. Tsk. Oh and another boo-boo. Have you experienced being approached in the malls by agents of insurance companies asking if you already have a credit card? I did and when I signaled her that I wasn't interested, she immediately asked "Sir, Pinoy?!". Great! Cebuanos!!!

0 comments: